What You Need to Know Before Building a Custom Home
Our homes have a special place in our heart. It is one of the few places where we can be ourselves without the fear of being judged or ridiculed. Earlier, when home building technologies were in a nascent stage, families had no other choice than to settle for a traditional home. Guess what? Now you can choose between a traditional and custom home. Before we proceed any further, let us understand what is a custom home.
Custom Home Defined
A custom home is a one-of-a-kind home designed for a specific client. Custom builders in Sonoma County and elsewhere usually construct custom homes on a piece of land owned by the client. Some developers sell plots specifically developed for custom homes. This makes the builder’s job easier as they do not have to make the effort to prepare the lot for construction and can focus purely on the design. Custom builders utilize designs and plans developed by an architect or home designer. A major benefit of opting for a custom home is that you get to decide the lot size, accessibility, and layout.
Things to Know Before Starting a Custom Home Construction Project
Building a custom home is an exciting journey. You get to call the shots and will be in the driver’s seat. The thrill and happiness that an individual who has been dreaming of having their own home for years feels when they watch their dream come to fruition cannot be expressed in words. Everyday will bring new challenges and opportunities. Your custom builder in Sonoma County will come up with a plan to navigate these challenges and cash in on opportunities. Before starting your project, you need to understand what you are getting into. Here are a few things that you must know before starting your project.
Custom Home Builders vs. Production Home Builders
- Types of home: Custom home builders build unique houses, whereas production home builders usually build condos, single-family homes, town houses, and rental properties.
- Volume: Custom home builders are generally low-volume builders. Production home builders, on the other hand, are usually large volume builders.
- Land: Unlike custom home builders who build on land owned by the client, production home builders use their own land.
- Plans utilized: Production home builders utilize stock plans, whereas custom home builders use a unique set of plans.
The Smaller Details Will Still Be Important
Attention to detail matters. In many cases, people get so obsessed with incorporating the latest design trends into their home that they downplay the importance of ensuring functionality of design elements. Here are some tips to help you create the perfect custom home design:
- Make sure your hallway is wide enough
- Come up with storage ideas
- Make sure your bedrooms have enough outlets
- Your bedrooms must be placed far from noisy areas
- Use dimmer switches
Expect the Unexpected
No matter how well you plan your project, you cannot completely rule out the chances of unexpected costs surfacing out from nowhere. To ensure challenges do not catch you off guard, you need to keep at least 10 percent of your budget for unexpected costs.
Need help with your custom home construction project? Look no further than Holly Construction, Inc.. Our homes are nothing like anything. We believe that every client is special, and so should be their homes. Our homes have character in abundance. To discuss your requirement, call at 707-541-0700.